Thursday, March 5, 2009

Another Piece from the Past

When I was looking through some files on the computer the other day, I ran across this picture.
Here are four generations of women on June 15, 1952 - two of them celebrating birthdays. One is one year old and the other is 81 years old, which is what I will be this year. This is my grandma Maggie, my daughter Sherry, and my mom Nan. Sherry was born on my grandmother's 80th birthday. When this picture was taken, I was almost 24 and my mom was about 58 which is what Sherry will be on her next birthday. It was a very hot day - and the whole family was gathered in the front yard of our little house right across the road from the Illinois River. How fast the time has gone by. Another little piece of my past.

5 comments:

Jonathan Jay said...

My name is Jonathan i'm 14 and I stumbled across your blog today. The pictures from your past were very fascinating and I am so glad I saw them. I love photography and really found them amazing. Your quilting is really cool also!!

Leslie said...

That is a treasured photo. Carol I have a picture of my 4 generations of women in my mothers family. It starts with Arielle, the new born, mom, me and my grandma who was 91 at the time. We call Arielle, Ellie and she couldn't hear very well at that age and she thought that i named her Eddie. We use to laugh about that. Leslie

Anonymous said...

Dont you look so much more youthfull than your grandmother!

janet said...

When we are taking this kind of picture we do not realize how important they will be to us and to future generations. This is truly a special photo. Thank you for sharing. My memories of seating by my grandmother, having her show me how to sew, are gems I wish had been captured. I will post a picture of my grandniece sewing with me.

Kim said...

What a great photo! I have very few photos of my family and none that are generational like this. My mom used to wear her hair like you have yours in the photo. She had such gorgeous, thick hair!

Your blog is just lovely and I always enjoy stopping by to see what new project, book or fabric you're sharing.