Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Name of This Block?

Saw this picture on the internet and am trying to figure out where the block is or how it is pieced. I usually can isolate the block and tell how it goes together but this one has me stumped. I can see how the ribbon effect is done on the border. This looked like it might be a candidate for a project made with jelly roll strips that some of us exchanged at a get together (fun time, girls) last night. Don't have to worry about getting it done until next year at this time! Any ideas what this is called and how to do it? It reminds me of a caned chair seat. We traded batiks - they are so gorgeous! (Click to enlarge)

6 comments:

Jewels said...

you've got me on this one - though I swear I've seen it before - probably in one my books - I'll let you know if I find it! Jewels

Pokey said...

Hm-m, good question. Can you trace back to where the photo came from? Let us know!

FeatherDuster said...

I don't know the name, but I can see the indivual blocks, and I can tell you basically how to piece it. You'd take one of the white hexagons and add the first round of strips clockwise, doing partial seams as you add, leaving just the seam allowance at the end undone (so you can add the next strip). Then you'd have to "complete" each of those seams, where the strips "cross" each other.
To find the blocks--look at the top row. THere are 3 blocks of interlocking triangles. There are 4 rows of 3 blocks, and in between those are rows of 2 blocks. Do you see them? If not, I could copy this photo and outline a block for you.

FeatherDuster said...

I've been collecting antique feesack prints and someone gave me a big set of wonderful, bleached feedsacks. I've been looking for a nice, traditional way to use them. I may have to play with this design and think about using my feedsacks in this way :-)

Leslie said...

How neat that you could figure this out Feather Duster. I think that the quilt would be just wonderful in feedsacks or batiks, Carol. I was in Traverse City this weekend at Quilting Bee, we were there once with the group remember and Saturday I bought a wonderful batik fabric with birds on it in blues and greens. Moda is making a series of batiks for that book and designer that we both have by that women named Ediyta. This shop had 4 of her applique blocks made up on display with these new moda batiks. Carol, check out Quilting Bees web site and see if they pop up, I think they told me they are doing it as a block of the month applique. I paid 10.99 a yard for this new batik, yikes.

Karen said...

I can't figure it out, but it is an excellent pattern!!