Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Watercolor Wallhanging

There was a nice group of gals at Sit and Sew today - and as usual a nice relaxing day. My buttons got old in a big hurry! I got some sewn on one of the little pieces - and will finish those by hand since they are four hole buttons and just think they will be easier to do than by machine. Actually, either way of doing them is a chore! However, they do look cute so will do!
And I did get binding done so that was good. There is no big hurry to finish.

I have been poking around and finding old pieces that were done some time ago. Goodness, I have lots of quilted things and have given quite a few away, too. I just keep doing them - it's just something I need to do. This little piece is the result of a watercolor class taken at the local quilt shop in the mid nineties. I actully enjoyed doing the laying out of the quilt and getting the shading to work. It is one of the first things I machine quilted and I really like the way it radiates out from the center. The border, however, is stippled and that is a little rough but I still like it.

I found a really great quote on line that I am going to share with you. I am sure this is how most of us who quilt feel.

"When I'm gone, ain't nobody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept...........but when one of my grandchildren or great-grandchildren sees one o' these quilts, they'll think of Aunt Jane, and wherever I am then, I'll know I'm not forgotten." Elvira Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky

Isn't that sweet? (Click to enlarge)

7 comments:

joanne lendaro said...

That is really pretty! You did an excellent job on the quilting also! I think the most difficult part is deciding how to quilt something, EXCELLENT choice. Glad you had a good time with your friends!

FeatherDuster said...

That quilt is beautiful.

Karen said...

That is excellent the way the colour radiates from the center! And, the way you quilted it!!!! Beautiful!

Leslie said...

Great quote, Carol. I always joke and say that the kids will probably use my quilts to cover their kids bikes in the winter. I do know that they enjoy them though, their comments tell me so.

I was at the emergency dog doctor last night and up all night with my oldest dog, Darla. She is 15 yrs. old and developed a very bad bladder infection. She is resting next to me as we speak. We do love our dogs, no doubt about that.

Pokey said...

It's pretty! I never got the hang of watercolor, try as I did. Your quote is great, I appreciate you sharing it Carol. Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

I would like to share my favorite--
my neighbor is washing her windows,
and scrubbing and mopping her floors
But my house is all topsy and turvy
and dust is behind all the doors
My neighbor she keeps her house spotless
and she goes all day on a trot
But no one would know in a fortright
If she swept today or not
the task I am at is enticing
my neighbor is worn to a rag
I am making a quilt out of pieces
I saved in a pretty chintz bag
and the quilt I know my decendants
will exhibit and credit to me
"so lovely - my grandmother made it
Long ago in 1933
But will her grandchilden remember
Her struggle with dirt and decay?
They will not - they will wish she had made them
the quilt I am making today.

Funoldhag said...

That is just lovely! Thank you so much for sharing. It is so absolutely true.