Monday, June 21, 2010

My Kaffe Ruffly Bag, etc.


Couldn't help myself - I made another bag and this time used Kaffe Fassett fabrics on a heavy canvas like fabric. The red circle of fabric will, of course, be replaced with a pretty big button. Joann has a lot of nice big colorful buttons and, if I can't find something smashing, I will get the biggest button form to cover and do it myself. I made the bottom of this bag wider and like the way it also makes the bag look wider at the top. When I cut the canvas, I did iron on some batting and just quilted some straight lines across the width in such a way that I could follow the seam to add the ruffles. For the lining, I had a pretty piece of striped fabric (part of it is the bottom ruffle in the picture). There are pockets on both the front and the back - a nice roomy bag. Loved the way it turned out. Silly me, I can see more ruffling in my future. Over on http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/ quilts made out of asterisk blocks have been featured and there was a tutorial last Monday and again today on making the blocks and quilt. I have made a couple of them and like the way they look, but don't know how far I would go with doing a quilt of much size. Construction requires slicing the block into two triangles, adding a strip, slicing it again, adding another strip, then slicing it in half with a strip added and that one sliced again and the final strip added. It's pretty but a lot of start and stop sewing. I'll do a few more as it always gets easier as you go along. (Click to enlarge)

7 comments:

Leslie said...

Love, love, love the bag. I would make them into hot pads for your family members if you don't want to make them into a quilt. Great fabric choices for them also.

Vicki said...

I like this bag too Carol and you are going to look smashing shopping with it. I like the blocks too but like you say alot of stop and start. Might have to give them a go tho as they do look good :) hugs Vicki

Jewels said...

Heh C - are you like the Ruffle Queen now (LOL) - very sweet bag! Well done. Jewels

joanne lendaro said...

Can't go wrong with Kaffe! Love it!

Karen said...

Another great bag Carol and the blocks are so cool!

Beth Niquette said...

How talented you are! What wonderful things you make! I love visiting your blog!

Jackie said...

I had to come over here and meet you from Nan's blog in Alaska! Any women with your blog name is a friend of mine! I work with folks your age but you are the coolest senior ever!
Come visit me if you wish, I'd love to know you more. I'm Jacqueline from Once Upon a Fairyland which was my childhood home. More to follow if you would like to be blog friends!