Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Wrestling Match

Here is the ruffled piece all pinned and ready to be quilted. As you can see from the picture
right above - it is something of a wrestling match quilting it and it's kind of wavy on the back. I do think, however, that it will not look too bad when it is all done. I am trying to start in the middle of the quilt then going each way for the straight line seams. The wavy ones I will do from one side to the other. The problem is that when you are quilting from the center, the closer you get to the left edge the more bulk is crammed into the space under the machine. Going the other direction is much easier. Will keep plugging away at it and I do think it will turn out okay. It is something I am doing on a whim and I really think it's frilly and cute. Don't most girls love ruffles? (Click to enlarge)

8 comments:

Chartreuse Moose said...

Darling, will be worth the effort!

Leslie said...

I hope it is done by Tuesday so that I can see it at our dinner. I am giving away a very cute High School Grad quilt today at a party and have 3 more to deliver as the party time arrives. I even have a baby quilt to present to a new baby girl this week. I will be glad to see them all at their happy new homes for snuggling.

Nan said...

I think i could turn this into somewhat of a nightmare if I tried to quilt it. I was noticing that the edges of the ruffles have white on them, as you said you zigzagged them. Did you do that solid then or does it appear that way?
I've never seen ruffles on quilt like this, very unique. The fabric choice is my favorite type too.
Nan

Jewels said...

Well Carol between you and Barb you've convinced me NOT to replicate this quilt! Sure glad I already own one someone else made (LOL). J

janet said...

That is really unique and cute!

Momma Made This said...

This is adorable!

Like you, I was wrestling (and that was the very word that was in my mind all day) with machine quilting a king-sized quilt. Not done yet.

But looking at your pretty quilt gives me hope and re-determination! Thanks for sharing your adventures!

~ Ronda

Momma Made This said...

Question: I'm assuming the ruffles were attached before quilting. I've not seen this pattern before, so please forgive if this is a stupid question... but...

Would it be possible to machine quilt the quilt, THEN machine quilt the ruffle on (straight down the center of each ruffle), THEN bind it?

~ Ronda

Karen said...

You can do it Carol! So different and wonderful!