Monday, July 5, 2010

Hot, Muggy Summer Day

I know I have probably mentioned it before - but I am not a hot weather fan. And today it reminded me of Kansas and Illinois in the good old summertime. However, I have my ac running and am comfy, contented and have been working with some reproduction fabrics. Isn't this pretty? It is made for twenty inch blocks but I reduced them to about 7 1/2 inches and it will make a piece somewhere around 36" square. That would be perfect for a wallhanging or even a tabletopper.

I am not the neatest quilter when I get going! There is fabric everywhere - I have way too much to choose from and then sometimes can't find anything I like. We just have too many choices anymore. However, there is no way you can have too much fabric. Note in the picture above that my basket blocks are together and I am deciding what to do about a border. Maybe just a piece on each side as I have put on the top and bottom - then it could be bound in the light or a pieced binding of the print fabrics. It has a nice soft look to it.
The big tub of fabric - see that little dark piece with the pink and the blue? I just love that chunk of fabric.

My oversized ironing board I bought at an estate sale across the street. It's wonderful, but where will I ever get a cover? And I will have you note that the floor under the ironing board is free of scraps - they are all in the basket! That won't last!!!!

The first block I did. They are cut oversize and I will trim them down. Love the way these fabrics look. And I was lucky to find some smudgy looking background fabric - and a lot of it - that I must have bought on sale someplace. It's perfect for these blocks.


This one is partially buttonhole stitched. I am doing them in black - like the look.



So there are the first two blocks - all together I will need 13 plus the setting triangles. I thought about leaving some of the little circles off but they really add a lot. Works well by just narrowing the stitch and shortening the space in between stitches a little bit. (Click to enlarge)

8 comments:

Chartreuse Moose said...

What a wonderful way to spend a hot, muggy day! You have so many great things in progress, the little baskets are darling...the new blocks are amazing! I spy a little bit of a black quilt on the flannel board...gosh, that looks interesting too!!! Ooooh, an oversized ironing board...now that IS nice!!! Can you make your own cover perhaps???

Leslie said...

Oh I love the new applique blocks and the fabric you selected. I really like most of all the black thread used to applique. It makes it almost look like you did it by hand. I can't wait to see it finished. Stay cool maybe the rain will cool things off a bit.

Pokey said...

Look what beautiful creations you have going on. I'd think hot weather keeps you making art!

Karen said...

Look how productive you are on a hot, muggy summer day!! Thank goodness for air conditioning. It was 97 here today, plus the humidity. The baskets are so cute! And, your new project is so pretty. Love the fabric. Black for the buttonhole stitch is perfect.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

I love your basket applique blocks and the fabric you used. That will be a wonderful wall hanging and or table topper. The other applique blocks are beautiful the colors are very rich looking. Good job. We have had rain almost every other day here in Des Moines, Iowa. I must admit my tomatoes are plump! Just hope they turn red one of these days. Have fun with your great projects. Carolyn

Quilting Queen said...

Gonna be a gorgeous quilt. For your ironing board, you can purchase teflon coated fabric esp. designed for such projects. Works great. DH made me an enlarged top to fit over my regular board just for ironing fabrics. I stitched a cover and it works great. We're getting the humidity now...thank heavens for AC

Marie said...

These blocks are just stunning - you do beautiful work.

pinewood said...

Love your blocks ! The fabrics are gorgeous