Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Some Sewing Just Isn't a Lot of Fun


Every pair of long pants I buy has to be shortened. It has been this way forever and I'm glad I know how to make the alteration, but I sure don't like doing it. Guess you have to take the bitter with the sweet. These are the pants that go with the set I will wear to the wedding. The fabric is slippery - which makes it even more "fun". I have run a basting thread at the bottom after turning the hem up, then I ran a stretch stitch about an inch above. I will cut off the excess pantleg and will handstitch the hem. Sometimes I do a machine blindstitch but with the slippery fabric, I probably would be asking for trouble so might as well do it the way I think will be the easiest. There is a glimpse of my pretty pin cushion given to me by a really good friend. (Click to enlarge)

5 comments:

Sue said...

It's nice that you can do the alterations. I gave up on anything clothes several years ago!
Have you tried the petite's section when you buy your pants?

Norah said...

Hm, this is a lot more professional and complex than my hemming job. I basically folded and pinned, and then sewed away. Luckily they were black pants!!

Can't wait to see you a week from TOMORROW!!

Love,
Norah
xxxxxxxxxx0000000000000000xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quilting Queen said...

BooHoo to you....I have the opposite problem...I'm 5'10" and have aterrible time getting things long enough...Hate to wear slacks or pants with a "high water" Mark. I'm sure that when you are done , those pants will be perfect...

Leslie said...

I agree, I am tall also and just hate high waters. I guess that is why we all love capri length pants. I start wearing them in early spring and don't stop until late fall. I know that you love your capris also, Carol. I do love your pin cushion. You must be a dear friend to the giver. lol

Jewels said...

Heh Carol - I hear ya! I can do collages but if hubby asks for a button sewn on his pants I bolt! LOL - difference between being creative and practical I guess - safe travels! J