Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Like Soup?

In an earlier post, I mentioned going to a mini retreat at Linda's (which was a really great time).  Everyone brought some food along for breakfasts and lunches - we went out to some fun places for dinners.  Linda made a couple of "batches" of really good soup.   I had a bowl of this cheesy soup and loved it.  She had already printed out some recipes so I took one.  Super easy prep - not a lot of the usual slicing, dicing, peeling, just open cans and a plastic bag.   You do have to chunk up the cheese and I did cook chicken breasts, but think  leftover turkey!  I made some last week and shared it with my daughter and her DH.  Yummy!  At lunch the other day with some of the girls, I mentioned I had made it.  Someone else had made it also and just left out the chicken and it was still good.

Linda's Cheesy Chicken Soup
4 cups cooked chicken breast (could use leftover turkey)
3 1/2 cups water (or you could use canned chicken broth)
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can cream of celery, undiluted
1 pkg (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
2 cans (14 1/2 oz.) potatoes, drained and cut in smallish pieces
1 pkg. (16 oz.) Velveeta, cubed

In a heavy pan or Dutch oven, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce the heat: cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the cheese just until melted (do not boil).
Yield: 7 servings
(I cooked my chicken breasts with some celery and onions and used the stock in place of the water called for)

The reason I took a picture is to send it to my son for a project he has developed that uses exchanges of recipes for donations to charitable organizations - sort of like an organizational cookbook on line.  Very smart idea and he is honing the final results. 

Enjoy the soup!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow, that photo is pretty enough to make the cover. lol I went to Detroit with Elle yesterday and then came home and wrapped gifts all evening. What a job!!! I hope that you all have a nice ride to your family and enjoy your time together. Talk to you after the holidays.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Hello Carol,

Those retreats are just so much fun.....and the soup looks yummy!!!! Thanks for the recipe.

Merry Christmas dear friend and to your family. I so enjoy your blog!

Hugs, Carolyn