Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Old Christmas Cards

When we were living in Topeka, Kansas, in the 1960's, there were several years when we made our own Christmas cards.  Ray did some photography and would take "portraits" of us - some of which are pretty funny.  Anyway, this is one we sent in 1965.  I am sure that he did the drawing of the train and I know he did the lettering.


Here is another card that was done a year or two earlier.  This time someone cut out some snowflakes - and I can't remember how the lettering was done.  Maybe they were stencilled.   After the mockup of the card was done, he photographed it and printed them out.  Now it's a snap with the computer, printer and scanner.  I so love doing that sort of thing.  (Click to enlarge)

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Wow, do those ever bring back memories! I can still smell the chemicals in the dark room and remember hanging the dripping prints on the line. Another of Dad's wonderful hobbies!

Pokey said...

Carol, you share the most interesting things, I enjoyed the vintage Christmas website, too. My Larry has done cards for us, seeing yours brought a happy memory of our own cards to mind. Its a blessing to have a creative spouse, isn't it? Thank you for sharing ~ pokey

Leslie said...

I just spent some time reading Hannah's post and adventures. Some are very funny and some are just what you would call all in the experience. She sure sounds like she will keep up with her positive attitude and make sure that she gets to experience the whole adventure and leave no stone unturned. Good for her, huh. I really wouldn't want it to be any other way for her, perfect would not be an adventure. I think that she enjoys the adventure. It is fun to read her posts.

Karen said...

Such fun cards Carol!!