Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Merry-Go-Round Blocks

I'm just fiddling around today - have been playing with a jelly roll I ordered quite some time ago.  There is a quilt I have seen on the internet that I really like and found out it is called merry-go-round.  Looks like hexagons set together and at first glance appears to have lots of intricate piecing.  However, it's easy peasy!!!  Done in rows, it is easy sewing.  I have decided, though, that this fabric is not the look I am going for so this will be a very nice, bright table topper.  
This will be the size of it approximately but I may change out a couple of the blocks.   Looks nice and springy especially on a snowy day.  The only drawback I can see is binding!!!!!  I imagine it will have to be bias binding and lots of nipping and tucking to get around the edge.  I could add pieces to make it straight but I think I will just go for it and give it a try.   Later on, I plan to make another one using this same block in a smaller size and in sweet little Aunt Gracie fabrics.  That should be cute as a button.  (Click to enlarge)

7 comments:

Miri said...

Oh I really like this...very bright and cheery. I used a knife edge on a vintage hexagon quilt I finished-it worked well and was easier than binding.

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, WOW. I'm just in awe.

Leslie said...

This is cool, Carol. What about batiks? I really like this, can't wait to see what else you will do with this project. Off to Chicago tomorrow morning with Eric for his interviews. Have mom will travel!!!

Karen said...

Happy New Year Carol! I LOVE the Merry-Go-Round blocks. They don't look easy peasy and oh yes,the binding!!!

Pokey said...

You know how happy this one is, Carol? I sure like the bright prints in these jelly rolls. I did the same pattern last May, and loved the results. Your table will bring out the smiles.
:-}pokey

Julie Fukuda said...

I saw your comment on another blog and thought I'd come for a visit. Sew glad I did!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Hello Carol,

Very perky fabric to start off with a fun project for a cherry new year! You always amaze me with all the beautiful quilts you create!

Hope you are having a great day. I will be looking forward to seeing the finish of your
"Merry Go Round" quilt!

Hugs, Carolyn