Monday, January 17, 2011

Quilting on an Old Project

Here is what is left of a project that started out sometime in about 1996  and that was going to be a full size quilt.  The idea came from a really lovely 1997 calendar with  wonderful embroidered blocks and the chain blocks.   After I had it started and was working on it a lot, my life went through a big change with the loss of my husband, selling our home and moving into this little condo.  Everything for this quilt was in a big plastic bin and it just kind of stayed in the basement waiting for me to get back to it.  I would get it out and work on it once in a while but just never really could get too enthused with it again.  So here it is about 15 years later and during the past year I got it out and put this much together for a wallhanging.  The rest of it I bundled up and put in our bazaar we have in connection with the guild's quilt show.  One of the Q2 members bought it and I even found some more of the background fabric for her so hopefully she will be able to make something out of it also.  Today, I layered and pinned it and have started quilting. 

Here is a closeup of one of the blocks.  I have used this pattern several times in my quilts - I think it is so pretty.
Here is the little bird block - note all the older fabric in this piece.  It would be much different if I laid it out today.  However, I still love the look of the little old prints and think they add a lot of interest.  (Click to enlarge)

6 comments:

Jewels said...

Carol - I am so happy you were able to come back to this - it will make a lovely wall hanging - the blocks you show here are just wonderful....J

Leslie said...

I also think that it is very pretty and I love the fabrics. They are still in fashion and this piece will be just a wonderful wall hanging or table topper. I am glad that you started working on it again.

Karen said...

Just beautiful Carol!

Janelle aka AussieJ said...

Just found your blog.Loving what I see.

Quilting Queen said...

Hi Carol, you sure do good work ...I'm still a fan of those colours and applique ...well...let's just say that it's the top of my list.

Pokey said...

I'm glad you found it again, too, it will be so nice to brighten a room. The bird square is my favorite ~
pokey