Friday, February 4, 2011

Fashion Friday

What the well dressed couple wore to the National Square Dance Convention in Cobo Hall in Detroit, Michigan, the year of 1961.  Just realized that was 50 years ago--time is flying by.  In a frock I fashioned myself (pulling yards and yards and yards of gathering thread on that three tiered skirt!),  I look like the majority of the "taws" in my tiered skirt trimmed in eyelet ruffled edging, and a sleeveless scooped neck blouse.  The fabric is blue and white checked gingham.  And, look, moccasins!  Wonder how many of those I have worn out over the years since I was 13 years old.  They have gone from $2.98 to over $30.00 in the 68 years I have had them as a mainstay in my wardrobe!  They are soooooo comfy - and they have to be the ones with no soles.  I am wearing a pair right now.  My "paw" is looking handsome in a shortsleeved western shirt that matches my dress.  I don't think I made that one, although I did make at least one shirt.  They were hard to do, and I wasn't enjoying that kind of sewing much when you could buy such great shirts already made.  A nice white or black western shirt went with everything.    He has a bolo tie and a fingertip towel in his belt.  We wear our name tags - our club was the Ft. Madison Star Promenaders and there were three couples that went to Detroit.  That was one of the only times Ray and I ever got away by ourselves when the kids were young.  Guess we didn't think much about it since our friends didn't get away, either.  It was a treat, though.   (Click to enlarge)

6 comments:

Jewels said...

Carol - the 2 of you look so happy. What great memories! Hope the Convention was a blast! J

Leslie said...

You must treasure this picture, it is a great one. Look at your figure girl friend. Looking good.

Janelle aka Nelly said...

Oh you looked gorgeous seems like yesterday I bet.

Sherry said...

Look at that waist! You should have been on the cover of Modern Square Dancing magazine! I remember eating the pot pies and the TV Bill and I watched with Mrs. Martin every Friday night. And the outings in Rodeo Park in the summer. I have fond memories of dancing a few round dances with Dad myself!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Look at the little waist is right! Darling picture of the two of you!

I remember moccasins like those---I would buy a pair every spring and Baker's Shoe store. I had to save my babysitting money to buy them. That was when you were paid 25 cents an hour! Wouldn't the kids laugh at that now!!!!

Cute post Carol!

:) Carolyn

Dorincard said...

Cool blue picture of happy times...:)
Back in the day when women DID have a waist...
1961? I am exactly 1 day younger than the Prez! :)