Saturday, April 2, 2011

Favorite Illustrators

As you can probably guess, I spend some (more than I should) time surfing the net.  Doesn't that sound high tech?  I have many, many files on my computer full of things I like - pictures of quilts, vintage pictures, old advertising - most of it is vintage.  During the searching I have discovered art by illustrators that capitivates me.  Thought I would feature some of them from time to time.
The first is Nell Brinkley - 1886-1944 - who was referred to as the "Queen of Comics".  Her drawings are just beautiful.
I have always wished I could draw - but alas it never happened.  If you would like to read more about Nell, I have a link http://cartoons.osu.edu/NellBrinkley/index.php that should be a good place to start.  You can also google her and look through images.  There will be hundreds of wonderful illustrations to see.  (Click to enlarge) 

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Gosh, your black and white flapper girl kind of looks like your Hannah! That is probably why you like her image so much. Off to Chicago at the end of next week to check out law schools for son Eric. If Elle goes I am sure there will be shopping. lol

Bill said...

Isn't it interesting how popular entertainment publishing has evolved over the decades. Only the media has changed, it's subject matter never changes.