Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Some Quick Quilt Labels

Our quilt show is this weekend and I have four pieces to enter and each one of them had no label.  I am getting very lax on that part of the quilting process, I am sorry to say.  I have done all sorts of labels and do enjoy making them on the computer.  Some times I use muslin backed by the sticky backing of full sheet labels - that can be used several times and it does go through the printer very well.  With freezer paper, I have had problems with it bunching up as it starts through the printing process.  However, it does help a lot if you fold a long piece of scotch tape across the leading edge of the paper - gives it something to grip easily.  I have some really good printer's sheets of cloth on the sticky paper that is soft and easy to needle when you sew through it.  I also had the package of sheets I show in the picture above that does a nice job but is terrible to try and hand sew.  So, I decided to do some quick designing and some quick printing and then add strips around each label.  For the edge, I just did a decorative stitch around the raw edge and it worked out fine.  Now I will be able to whip those little babies to the backs of my quilts in no time at all.  You could really get creative and use a different colored strip on each side, or paper piece a diamond in a square with the center containing the information.  But if you just want to get one done and in a hurry, this works well.  (Click to enlarge)

5 comments:

lesthook said...

Cool idea!

Leslie said...

Thanks for the reminder, did not do that either so I will have to do that this afternoon. I bagged all morning yarn and fabrics and came up with some great buys for someone. I made the bookmarks yesterday and a quilters necklace with felt balls, beads and a threaded bobbin. Will sell all of these for the guild. Good way to clean out the fabric drawer. huh!!!

Stray Stitches said...

Great idea. Thanks for the tip!

Karen said...

Now, this is something I really need to do!

Pokey said...

Good Idea. I'm hit and miss in the label department. too. :-}pokey