Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bindings and Custard Pie

The other day I got the binding ready for Snowball Star and for my Hexie Flower quilt.  These for the smaller quilt are all sewn on and partially sewn by hand.
I decided to bind the quilt in green.  Had to piece the strips and now they are pressed and I will take the quilt down to my big table and trim the remaining backing and batting off then back upstairs to sew the binding to the quilt.  That is kind of a wrestling match since my machine is pretty close to the wall.  However, I do manage to get it done.

Now, one more picture----
one of the recipes I got from Pinterest that I have been wanting to try.  I love, love custard pie but have only made it a couple of times.  I found this recipe that is really easy so I gave it a go.  It smells divine but is too hot to eat yet.  Easy to mix up, it was supposed to make it's own crust and it looks like it did.  I will put in the recipe along with some words of caution.  When I mixed it up, I started pouring it into a 9" pie plate as called for in the recipe.  Well, there was way too much so I immediately poured it back into the mixing bowl.  I used a 9" round pyrex (I think that is the size) round baking dish and it held it fine.  As it baked, it started to rise to the top.  Of course, with my sparkling clean oven I didn't want to have a runover mess so I put a cookie sheet with some foil on it under the dish.   (It never did run over - but I still would not trust it).  I baked it about 15 minutes longer than it called for.  It was in the oven at 350 for approximately an hour.  When I took it out, there was melted butter on the top so I took paper towels and blotted that up.  So with that said, here's how to make

Magic Crust Custard Pie

1/4 c. butter (or margarine)
4 eggs
3/4 c. white sugar
pinch of salt
2 c. milk 2%
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. all purpose flour

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and beat with a mixer. 
Pour into buttered 9" pie pan (needs a bigger one!) (I forgot to butter my pan but will next time.
Sprinkle with nutmeg!  That's what makes custard so good - at least to me.
Bake at 350 for 45 min to an hour.  It makes it's own crust.

Okay, I could not wait so I have taste tested it still quite warm.  It's yummy and I will be wanting to make it again every once in awhile!  Will let you know how it is cold as I am sure I will find that out later on this evening.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

That recipe looks very easy and doesn't call for many ingredients. I will also try it for the family. You are so funny.

Pokey said...

Oh, if you like custard pie, use this same recipe but with 3 eggs, and one can of evaporated milk! That is from my Momma's recipe, we grew up on canned Pet milk for many recipes, this one and for our home made ice cream! BTW, this pie fits in a buttered AND floured glass pie plate, and the only time it spilled was when I bumped the shelf putting it into the oven-HA!
:-}pokey

Jewels said...

Heh Carol - save some for me to try lol. see you soon. J

carol fun said...

I love custard pie! Do you remember Bill Knapp's restaurants? They had the best custard pie. I'll have to try this recipe. I like the scrappy binding - have fun.

Karen said...

Oh, custard pie! Now that looks really good. The scrappy binding is very fun and the green binding is perfect too.