Monday, April 9, 2012

Candlewicking

Back in the early 1980's when I was trying out so many different types of needlework, I made several candlewicked pillows.  Lots and lots of colonial knots, satin stitch, running stitch and lazy daisies.  Those pillows still are perched on my bed and the bed in the guest-sewing room.  The one above and
 this one are done in dusty pink and trimmed with some pretty pink cotton lace and ruffling. 
They share a spot on the bed with this little pillow I did years and years ago.  That one is hand appliqued and hand quilted.
This is done in the more traditional muslin and matching thread.  It is actually a pattern for a quilting design.  The colonial knots are so much better than french knots - or that is my opinion - because they never pull through to the back.  Once you have mastered the movements, you don't forget how to do one.
I like this one a lot.  Amazed that I did a pretty good job on the satin stitched grapes.  That stitch is time consuming but very pretty.  Wonder if candlewicking will make a comeback?  It's very pretty handwork. 

9 comments:

Donna said...

As always, your work is beautiful. I just discovered a candlewicking pillow kit in my stash. No telling how old it is. It is a very simple one without satin stitch. I've never tried it before. Is it difficult to learn?

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Beautiful! I made some pillows too! I remember when it was the craft to do...who knows--- as the saying goes... what comes around goes around again!

:) Carolyn

Donna~~ said...

Your pillows are really pretty--such a delicate feel! I'm betting it'll make a comeback--doesn't everything sooner or later!

Leslie said...

I still have a candlewicking project on a stretching frame 1/2 finished in the prettiest blue. I would love to finish it someday. I got your machine, there was a mix up on your expiration date, that's all. lol I really had a comment about that one when we figured out the problem, but I won't share it with you, but I am sure you can imagine just what I said....

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I made a candlewick baby quilt for my niece and never did it again! I was thinking about it recently though and sort of wish it would come back. Your projects are lovely!

Bonny said...

Wow! your handwork is absolutely perfect!
You should enter those in a fair and win 1st Prize!!!!

Kate said...

I would love to know where your pattern is from. Your work is quite lovely.
Kate (quaillady@comcast.net)

Kate said...

I would love to know where your pattern is from. Your work is just lovely.
Kate

DonnaAunt said...

Do you know how or where I can get the pattern for the two beautiful candlewicked pillows shown above?
I want to make them for my niece that will be here in the summer. They are beautiful!