Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Yummy Casserole - For a Change

Finally, successful results when trying a new recipe and ending up with something really yummy.  Some things I have tried lately have turned out okay, so so,  or yuk!   Some I have saved the recipe and others tossed out.  Anymore,  I am not really enjoying time spent cooking and get kind of irritated when something I think sounds so good turns out to be not good and a waste of time.  That has happened a couple of times with things I've made in the crockpot.  However, this was really good and I look forward to the leftovers tonight - and tomorrow night - and maybe even another night if I would freeze some.

It's Mexican Lasagna  but I did not use all it called for.  I found it on good old Pinterest where there are just endless wonderful sounding goodies.  This involved using the lasagna noodles that you don't boil (hip, hip, hooray!!), black beans, tomatoes (I used the ready for chili kind), green onions, frozen (or fresh) corn, garlic powder, oregano, some salt and topped it off with Mexican style grated cheese.  It called for cilantro (I am not a fan), cumin (the tomatoes had a chilli flavor) and hot sauce (not a fan of that either).  No cooking before hand, just mix everything but the cheese together then layer with the noodles and cheese.  I only did two layers instead of three.  It was then covered tightly with aluminum foil and baked at 400 for about 45 minutes, uncover, bake 5 minutes more.  Let it stand 10 minutes. 

Ingredients I used are:
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/4 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
4-5 green onions, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp. garlic salt
salt
 28 oz. can tomatoes for chili
9-12 no boil lasagna noodles
8 oz. Mexican grated cheese
Layer in two or three layers - noodles, bean mixture, cheese.   Put more of the cheese on top layer.  Bake as above.  You can add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and hot sauce, if you wish!

I always am so smug and contented when I have good leftovers in the fridge - better than money in the bank.  Well, almost!

And I also finished quilting Snowball Star!!  

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh that looks really good. I will certainly make this for the family. I am trying turkey meatloaf tonight, never have used turkey before. Hope it is as good as yours looks.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Yummmmmm..thanks for the recipe always fun to try something new and love the results!

Easter greetings to you and your family.

Carolyn

Pokey said...

Ooo, this sounds like a yummy meal! I'm with you, finding great, easy dishes that come with leftovers are perfect.
Happy Easter to you and your family!
:-}pokey