Monday, June 25, 2012

Playing with the Swoon Block

Thinking about the swoon block, I played around with my EQ5 and was able to come up with this version of the block.  I am not very good with this program but it is  fun to play with and I can actually do some very simple things with it.  There are ways to import all kinds of fabric into the libraries and I just quickly put in the Bali batiks they have listed so, therefore, this looks very Amish and I love it.  I didn't spend much time picking out the fabrics and they don't print out as pretty as they look on the screen.

If each of the individual blocks were 7 inches, for instance, the entire block would be 56" square - which is the width of a double bed, I think.  Adding a narrow border and a wide border equalling 10 inches would bring it to 76 overall which would certainly be good to cover a bed with the addition of a dust ruffle.  And if you made the individual blocks 4 inches, you would have a 32" wallhanging sans border.  There are so many  possibilities.  And look at the lovely spaces for beautiful machine quilting!  I'm thinking about this one for one of these days.  I do love the Amish look!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Very nice and perfect for machine quilting!

Leslie said...

I am up north at the cabin while Leif attends a workshop so I cut and sewed my big block swoon square. Mine will measure 50 inches square prior to lots of boarders. I am using very pretty jinny Breyer fabrics. Will show you it soon.

Leslie said...

I am up north at the cabin while Leif attends a workshop so I cut and sewed my big block swoon square. Mine will measure 50 inches square prior to lots of boarders. I am using very pretty jinny Breyer fabrics. Will show you it soon.