Saturday, June 9, 2012

Pretty Birds

This quilt was in one of the magazines just about three years ago and it caught my eye.  Something about it is so fetching - it is simple and very sweet.  Over the last couple of years I have thought about doing it several times.  So this afternoon that is what I did - found some charm squares I have and some white on white fabric and started cutting out birdies.  I actually reduced the size of the blocks from about 9 inches to probably around 7 inches.  Instead of doing them on individual blocks (the momma birds are on one and there are two babies on each of the remaining blocks in the rows), I will do them on a strip.

Messy, as usual.  The size will be around 28 by 35 so would make a cute wallhanging.
Still have lots of wings to decide on but was getting a bit weary.  Next time I go down, the pieces will kind of make known where they want to be.   The birdies are just lying on the fabric and will not be squeezed together like that.
Before I do any fusing, I may see if I can find some white with teeny tiny black dots - thought that might be pretty.  Will just bind it in binding made from sewing pieces together for a scrappy look.  All these little birds will have orange beaks, feet and little black eyes.  I may make the wings a bit bigger, too.  Will just have to see.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

How very cute!!! Elle and I like. Going to be a hot one tomorrow at High School Graduation.

Jewels said...

I have no doubt this will turn out really cute Carol - can't wait to see it done. J

FeatherDuster said...

That's so cute!

Karen said...

Such a sweet pattern, can't wait to see your finished birds!

Molly said...

Those are adorable, grandma! Can't wait to see how they all turn out.