Sunday, June 3, 2012

Tinted Embroidery

For quite a while now, I have been wanting to do some tinted embroidery.  I love the look of that old fashioned method done probably in the 20's and 30's.  Sent for some Derwent Watercolour Pencils a year or more ago but have never played with them.  Today I did and I like what I see so far.
I put some parchment paper on a plastic tray, put a little water in a bowl and grabbed a paper towel.  Scribbled some of three colors on the parchment paper, then took a little paint brush, dipped it in the water and ran it back and forth over one of the scribbles.  Then carefully and after blotting the brush a little bit, I started applying the color to the embroidery which I had already stitched.  It seemed to work like a charm and I think would work either before or after doing the sewing.  I love how it is turning out and am sure that there will be ways to shade, wash, and use more than one color.  Two of the leaves I put the color on and will stitch over that.  Looks to me like it is another one of those things that you can do whichever way you are comfortable with.  The pencils are expensive, but you can get them at Dick Blick's for about $1.09 each.  I think that is where I got my set of 24.  I ordered about 14 more - I think I can treat myself!  Now if I just work on this!  As I get older, I am like a flea hopping from one thing to another!  I have four of the darling little baskets drawn out for embroidery and painting and would like to make a wallhanging with fabrics that blend with the colors.  Kind of thinking Civil War - but batiks may be the winner here. 

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh my i Shared your post with ELle and we both like your work very much!!!! Looks wonderful.

Jewels said...

That looks wonderful Carol! I know you can do it with crayons but had not thought about water colours - I may just give it a go! Do you want a ride to Guild dinner next week? Let me know...

Sue said...

Thank you for sharing. I'm going to dig out my watercolour pencils. What you did looks good.

Karen said...

Looks great Carol. Funny, I just dug out my watercolour pencils a week or so ago to try, but have yet to do so.

Deb said...

Nice effect I hadn't thought of watercolors, last week I came across Pastel Dye Sticks and I am going to give them a try, but I think I will pick up a few of the water color pencils too. Thanks for posting beautiful work.