Thursday, July 19, 2012

Odds and Ends

My tv, phone and internet have been acting up once in a while for several weeks - and I called Charter on Monday afternoon and made a date for them to come out  and get things running smoothly again.   Everything is up and running again and I am also the owner of a new DVR which I will have to learn how to use.  Right now there just isn't that much on television that I want to record, but if there would be I would be out of luck as my old VCR doesn't work anymore.  Things come and go quickly anymore, don't they?

While I was without the internet, I was looking through some of my file folders.  In one of them, I found this scan of some queen anne's lace, violas and some Hawaiian  bridal veil that I scanned a year or two ago.  Love the way objects scan and the black background behind them.  I love scanning and also use it for enlarging patterns for applique.  The computer, scanner and printer seem to go hand and hand with quilting.
I also found a picture taken at the Senior Center where some of the quilters meet a couple of times a month.  This was probably taken last fall - one of the girls gave it to me later.  I had taken my yoyo coverlet to show them and someone took my picture.  I am sorry I can't remember who did - that's what happens when you get old!

We are having such a great reprieve from the heat!  It was absolutely terrible Monday and Tuesday.  In the almost 20 years I have lived in Michigan, this is the hottest summer we have had.  Reminds me of Kansas!  And Kansas is having a terribly hot summer and a dry one.  Bill, my son, said today it was to get to 105!   I remember those days and don't miss the summer heat there.  This old woman is a cool weather kid.   Today was about 25 to 30 degrees cooler than the first of the week!  That is wonderful!

I have started my pulmonary rehab but have only gone about once a week since I started.  That is due to two really hot days and a couple of doctor's appointments that I have had for a long time.  However, now it looks clear ahead and I will be going twice a week.   I have a really nice girl who goes through the routines with me and the hour goes fast. 

While it was so hot, I steeled myself and did some chores that I had been putting off for some time.   Putting the backs for quilts together is not my favorite thing to do but necessary.  I am so proud of me for getting two done!!  One for the big swoon block and one for
this top that I did either last summer or the summer before.  The backing is the black with the wavy lines.  Glad to have these ready for machine quilting!  Then I put three pillowtops together - so I am feeling pretty smug about doing all those projects.  Hope I don't break my arm patting myself on the back!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Love the yo-yo coverlet Carol and the quilt too. Glad all is going well at rehab and I hope you don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, that would mean more rehab! lol.

Jewels said...

Carol this weather has just been horrible for being outside! You have been super busy - we need to make a date for a visit soon :)j

marlu said...

I love the black, white and floral quilt. I have a yo-yo coverlet that my mom made. Lots of stitching in the 1930's!