Monday, August 13, 2012

A Fun Road Trip

Bright and early this morning, Kathy picked me up and we then picked picked up Stephanie and drove to Clare where we met up with Leslie, Linda and Becky to hear Edyta Sitar give a talk and show her absolutely gorgeous quilts.  There were some vendors (including Edyta's books, patterns, and fabric) and a great lunch.  This is one of her patterns and she had the quilt there - it is such a pretty one.  Her work is breathtaking.  She speaks with a cute accent (Norwegian?) and she is fun to listen to, smooth in delivery, nice to look at and just generally holds your attention and tells some amusing stories.  Her good looking husband is there to help her.  I think Edyta is doing well in the quilt world - she also designs fabric.  If you get a chance to see her or take a class from her, by all means do it.  She actually taught a class for our guild last January but that was when I was having breathing problems and I didn't get to go.  All the girls thoroughly enjoyed her.
The charm squares were purchased at another vendor.  The outside one doesn't do justice to what's underneath!  Don't know what I will do with them, but they are so pretty.  I loved the striped piece and may use it someplace in the little quilt for the little great granddaughter who will be arriving in November.
Along with some animals, some goofy birds will be a part of that quilt.  This guy is ready for the machine buttonhole stitches.  I wasn't going to post any pictures until it's done, but that's what I will be working on for quite a while.
I found these cuties when I was searching for "jungle birds", etc.  They are cute clipart pieces that are simple enough to be enlarged and used for applique.  This sort of thing is like eating potato chips - hard to stop.  So, Molly, if you read this, you will have an idea of what it is like but there is a lot more that will go along with these guys.  I thought I was pretty clever to cut the eyes out of polka dot fabric - although I am sure many more quilters have thought of that before me!

6 comments:

Leslie said...

I had tons of fun also, but I always do when my two favorite things are together, quilting and Carol.

carol fun said...

Oh Edyta's quilts are some I'd love to see in person. Sounds like you had a great time. Love that Coquette line and your birds are adorable!!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Sounds as though you had a wonderful outing!

Delightful projects in store for you.

:) Carolyn

Karen said...

Love Dancing Umbrella, can't wait to see the fabric you pick for that one. Super cute blocks for the baby quilt!

Pokey said...

It sounds like a wonderful outing for you girls, I'm so glad you were able to attend! Yep, the Umbrella quilt will be amazing with your artsy, interpretive spin on it, you are so good at that, dear Carol.
...and I love the sweet birdies! No, I hadn't thought of using "pokeydots" for the eyes; I will now, and think of you!
:-}pokey

Moly said...

Grandma, the birds are so cute! I can't wait to see what it all looks like :) Love you!

Molly