Thursday, August 2, 2012

Doing a Little Work on the Laurel Wreath Quilt

I ran across this version of the Nancy Page quilt on the internet and a lightbulb went off over my head!  How much easier it will be if I do every other block with the wreath - so much less cutting and appliqueing of leaves and it is still very pretty.  So that's what I am doing.
There will be two more rows-- a total of ten more blocks of which only five of them have to have the wreaths.  For now, I plan to  put a cluster of three leaves in the corner of each plain block, but I may change that.  I thought the flowers looked a little small for the size of the block.  A bigger flower looked like too much - so will make the final decision later on.
Love the fussy cutting of fabrics for the flowers.  You can get so many different looks from the same fabric and especially so with Kaffe Fassett's.  As I look at the block without the wreath, I am thinking I might want the leaf cluster to be in shades of green.
I really like this flower with the polka dot leaves.  Maybe I will have polka dots for the clusters - I think I have enough fabric for that.  I don't have enough of the background fabric to make the border I planned to do so will have to be creative in planning it.  Have found some good ideas by surfing so am not too worried about it.  Probably will do some patching of the fabrics I am using and make some sashing and an outer border with the background fabric between.  Will work it out someway.  In the meantime,  I think I am liking this piece. 

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh boy, how very pretty is this quilt going to be. I just love it. It will be a show stopper for sure.

Donna~~ said...

This quilt has such a delightful feel to it! It's going to be lovely!

Karen said...

I'm liking it to Carol, it is going to be a beauty!!!!

LuAnn said...

Carol...this is such a beauty. What beautiful fabrics you have chosen, too.

Pokey said...

You have a pretty plan, as always! I like the colors and the background adds a nice texture. The quilt will have more interest with less wreaths, actually. You are making an heirloom, dear Carol ~
:-}pokey

Isn't Henry a doll! Seriously, I love that lifted eyebrow and his cheeky grin. Great photo! :-}