Sunday, October 14, 2012

More Fibonacci

This is actually the piece (four of them, really) that I put together for my project at the class on Wednesday.  I could have been much more creative than I was but actually liked the fabrics I picked out.  Now I can see what possibilities there are in the idea of finonacci.  (Love to say the word - makes me feel so smart!!)
With this setting, you can flip the pieces around many different ways and what is shown in the picture won't be the way I sew together.  I also may do a little applique someplace.  We'll see.  It's just about the right size for a tabletopper.    Anyway, I decided to go shopping down in my basement in the batik section.  Pulled some blacks - but not enough of some of the pieces that would have been really great.  That is the thing when you mainly applique - you buy smaller pieces of fabric such as fat quarters.  Then I got into the reds and purples.  This is what I came up with and I used the other setting for making this piece.   You make a strata (I think that is what it's called) using randomly placed cuts of the varying widths.  That in turn is cut into the varying widths and then sewn together.  Looks complicated - but this one was much easier than the one above.
 Much, much more dramatic - maybe a little dark but I like it so much better.  And it was quite fast.  Of course, I didn't have a great group of gals to chat and laugh with and kept my mind on what I was doing. 
Then Friday, several of us went to the Park Bench,  Ann and Patty's great shop, to their sale and afterwards out for a nice, long lunch.  Kathy brought along her beautiful orange and hot pink piece in the earlier post to find a border.  The one she picked out actually goes well with the one I just did so I bought some of the same batik.  Leslie and Linda both found fabric they needed for projects other than the fibonacci pieces.  A fun day with some fun friends.

Rainy, rainy weekend - which I don't mind unless it goes too long.  Yesterday my main accomplishment was getting binding cut for the little batik wallhanging with the icicles and snowflakes and for my black, white and red quilt that Linda quilted for me.  I really have a wrestling match applying binding on a big quilt.  My set up is far from ideal but I manage to get it done.  I have binding on two sides sewn on and will do the other two today. 




1 comment:

Leslie said...

They are just wonderful. A rainy weekend now and then is great for staying inside and quilting. It's like no excuse needed.