Friday, October 5, 2012

Odds and Ends


The other day I made a recipe I found on Pinterest for oven baked chicken fajitas.  As you can see, it turned out great with the only problem being it was pretty hot for me - I am not much for very much heat in my food.  Had a great taste, though, and I will try it again and change the rotel tomatoes and green chiles to just tomatoes.  At least, I think that was the problem for me.  It was a very easy recipe and made a nice big panful so would be good for a small family.   For anyone who likes things a bit spicy, it's a good recipe.

  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced (I use half a green and half a red)
  • 12 flour tortillas
  • Toppings such as cheese, sour cream, and guacamole – if desired




Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken strips in a greased 13×9 baking dish.
  2. In a small bowl combine the oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt
  3. Drizzle the spice mixture over the chicken and stir to coat.
  4. Next add the tomatoes, peppers, and onions to the dish and stir to combine.
  5. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Serve on tortillas with desired toppings.

I have spent a part of each of the last few days cleaning the messy drawers in my sewing area.  Found some things that I was wondering as to their whereabouts!   I do not have an impressive thread collection and usually go buy it as I need it.  I do have enough to usually be able to get a good start on a project. 
For the last several years I have been using Sulky for my machine applique.  This and
more in this nice, neat drawer are what I have.  This also has bobbin thread and other thread for quilting.  What looks like a mitten in there is a felted wool holder for my rotary cutter that I bought at our quilt bazaar a number of years ago.  Lori is the maker of that - and of quite a few pin cushions that I have.
Another neat drawer!  Mainly Coats and Clark thread in the boxes - have used lots of that over the years.   Any old wooden spools of thread I have are in my spool cabinet.
This drawer was a supermess!  I could find nothing with ease - and found things I didn't know I had.  Also way too many pencils!  Here are the little things I use as I sew - small rulers, tweezers, scissors, point turners, marking gadgets, and all my sewing machine feet, walking foot, etc.  A fun not is that there are three different styles of Merle Norman powder boxes holding things - I have been using Merle Norman since I was very young.  The white one in back is the oldest, the one with the foot (has a tan screwon lid) is a later one and the brown with the gold flower is a newer one.  The latest one I have is about half the size of those but not reduction in price, I am sure.  Great containers for things over the years.
You are probably completely bored looking at my drawers!  Last one - just thread, machine needles and bobbins.  I do love the neatness of all this - I wonder how long it will last?

 
I have to cut binding for this quilt that Linda quilted so beautifully for me.  It will be in the black with the wavy dotted stripes.  This was a lot of fun to put together.
 
 



7 comments:

Wtrstone said...

Sounds delicious! The heat may have come from the cumin and/or the chili powder as well. Try cutting those back to 1 tsp each if you make it again.

Kat

Jewels said...

love your drawers Carol LOL

Leslie said...

Oh girl,I have seen your floss bin. You are a messy one for sure. Things are looking much improved. Better go have some ice cream.

FeatherDuster said...

I love fajitas, and that looks like an easy way to make them! Yummm

sewnutx64 said...

I am impressed and inspired. I forgot all about making those rotary cutter cozies! Ha. I made them from old sweater sleeves!

wreader said...

You ask how long will the neatness last? As long as you want it to! Inspires me to do the same.

Karen said...

I love your drawers too Carol! ;)