Friday, November 9, 2012

A Project for Christmas



A little hard to see, but the start of ten Christmas stockings for my family.  I found some double faced quilted fabric at Joann's the other day and it is perfect for this project.  This year names will be drawn for gifts - with the exception of the little babies - and Christmas will be spent in Portland.   I suggested a stocking for everyone so that each person can buy, make or pass on something for each person in lieu of larger gifts and the idea was received enthusiastically.  The stockings are in production now.  They will be simple and will be personalized with a name on each one. 


 
 

Here's a glimpse of what I have planned out.  I made one yesterday and it turned out okay.   I have everything traced on fusible web ready to be ironed to the fabric and cut out.  Will do this on an assembly line basis.

A while ago when I was finishing the edges of the stocking faces with a nice stitch I have on my machine, all of a sudden my machine would not move forward!  Panic! I checked all the buttons to see if I had somehow or other pushed a wrong one.  It  was as if the feed dogs were down but they were not.  Took the plate covering the bobbinworks off and there was what I thought was the reason - lint under the feed dogs!  Lots of it!  I must say I am usually so good about checking and cleaning that quite often and have never ever had a problem.  So, out comes the little brush and I cleaned away all that bad stuff, reassembled everything and figured I had it cured.  It was not.  Still would not go forward!  So I took the soleplate off again, fiddled around again - don't know exactly what I did - put it all back together.  Guess what, it worked!  Sigh of relief!   I don't think, though, that it will be too long until I will maybe have to buy a new machine.  This old friend of mine is 24 years old and has been just a stellar companion and served me well.  I will never get rid of it.  There are two things I would replace if they go bad and that is my sewing machine and my computer--I love the time I spend with them. 


4 comments:

Molly said...

I'm so excited!!! Love, Molly

Leslie said...

Those will be pretty, but a ton of work for you. Good thing that you are starting early. If you need me to trim, cut or bury a thread or two, just let me know, friend.

Queenie Believe said...

So glad your machine only had a stuffy nose and not something worse :o)
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

Karen said...

I love the Christmas stocking idea Carol and that was a close call with the sewing machine!