Saturday, February 16, 2013

Dresden Plates

This is a beautiful quilt I repinned from Pinterest.  When I first looked at it, I immediately thought it might be one by Edyta Sitar - and I was right.  Love all the batiks she used (and probably non-batiks in the plates, too).  I have finished appliquing and have my strip quilt all sewn together except for the outer borders.  I am undecided about whether or not to make borders of approximately 9 inches (would give lots of room for some pretty quilting) or make another strip and have narrower borders.  Will take it along to Sit and Sew and consult with my quilting buddies before I decide.   Back to the dresden plate quilt - I have been thinking about making this in the same batiks I am using in the strippie quilt.  I love the colors and have plenty of fabric.  So----
here is the first plate I just finished putting together.  This is for a 9" block so the finished piece would be approximately 37" square if done the same as Edyta's quilt which has no borders.  I think the center circle will either be a gold or a soft brown.   The colors in this picture are off and appear harsher than they actually are.  

9 comments:

tpott said...

Carol, your Batik dresden block is lovely. I love the original and of course Edyta Sitar. I can't wait to see what your finish quilt will look like. It's been a lazy Saturday but, looking at your block, now I want to go sew. Thanks! ;-> Toni Anne

Jewels said...

Wow Carol I think your plate is wonderful!

Chartreuse Moose said...

I adore the dresden plate...and with batiks it has a new charm! Lovely!

Deb said...

The Batik Dresden plate is quite pretty, its one of my favorite pattern. I can't wait to see your completed quilt. thanks for sharing.

Leslie said...

ummm, loves it!!!! Elle too!!!

Karen said...

Edyta's quilt is beautiful and your first plate is wonderful too!

Marie said...

Funny, I thought of Edyta as soon as I saw it too. Nice!

Pokey said...

Your plan is a great one, Carol. Will you put your dresden on a light or dark background? I'll be waiting to see...Oh, that cake looks yummy, too!!
:-}pokey

Karen said...

Your batik dresden plate is beautiful. Dresdens are one of my all time favourite quilts and I'm just sewing together the blocks of one I started for a Christmas quilt a couple of years ago. I might have to do a batik one after seeing yours. Karen