Saturday, March 9, 2013

Silhouettes

A rough layout of the little silhouette quilt that I am making.   I have all the pieces drawn, fused to the black and cut out.  Six of them are fused down with seven to go.  There will be a cornerstone in each of the sashing rows between the blocks.  I like the little girl silhouette that I found online for the center.   The patterns I picked for the blocks are quite simple since the blocks are only six inches finished.   Patterns that are too elaborate have too many tiny pieces!   Some of the leaves are very small anyway.   Anyway, so far,  so good!

I happened to recall what brought about the making of the butterfly quilt in the last post.  I signed up for a block of the month by Robyn Pandolph while on a shop hop someplace along Lake Huron.  It was a beautiful quilt, and, as most BOM's are, very expensive over the time you are receiving them.  That was my one and only BOM and I never did make it--just accumulated the whole set of patterns and fabric.  Knowing I would never make the quilt, I used the fabric - which was so pretty but just in pieces many of which were quite small.  There were, of course, bigger pieces for the blocks.  I think I might still have some of that in my stash.   Although I know many people enjoy making quilts from blocks of the month, I enjoy picking my own fabric for my quilts.  So the little butterfly quilt really cost a goodly sum.  I have no idea where the patterns went - probably I put them into our guild bazaar.  I am also not a fan of mystery quilts having had a couple of disappointing results with those after a lot of work.   Goodness, I didn't mean to sound like I'm complaining because actually I'm not.  I figure things like that help you make better choices!  Have a great rest of the weekend!
 


5 comments:

Jewels said...

ooohhhh your silhouettes are fantastic Carol! What a great project...

Karen said...

Really nice! Love the background fabric.

Pokey said...

These black and cream are such a lovely beginning, I know it will finish beautifully. You have such a good eye for a winning quilt, I totally understand re: mystery projects. As proud as I am of my latest mystery, I look at it and wish I had done some colors differently.

You went with your heart on the butterfly quilt, and girl, you really have a heart you can trust! I agree with "lil' red hen", it is one of the most charming butterflies I have ever seen quilted ~
:-}pokey

lil red hen said...

The black and cream top will be so pretty. I really like the background fabric with the black.

Leslie said...

You have such an eye for color. That's why you and
El are my favorite people! I will not be with you gals on Tuesday, I took gar skiing for a few days. I am bumbled to miss Julie. Please tell her that I am sorry.