Friday, June 7, 2013

Yesterday - A Very Good Day

 (Just proofed this and also went back a couple of posts - I had already put up my petunias.  Just ignore these!!!   Keep in mind how old I am!!)

Will start this post with a picture of my gorgeous double petunia basket that I got for Mother's Day.  Probably have posted it before, but the blossoms are just beautiful.

Yesterday was a very good day, as I use as a title for this post.  A couple from Iowa that were a big part of our life in the 1950's and who I have never lost touch with came to see me.    We had not seen each other for over twenty years and it was so very good to be with them again.  Ray and I spent lots and lots of years square dancing from very early marriage.  When we were transferred to Ft. Madison, Iowa, a group of the Santa Fe people from both Chillicothe and Marceline, Mo., got a club going.  Our caller came from Burlington, Iowa, and couples from there joined in - Garnett and Harold were among those dancers.  Over time, there were four couples that we would dance with a tip or two each time and what fun we had.  We also went to each other's homes afterwards and spent lots of other time together playing cards, etc.  What I find so amazing is how the years seem to melt away and you pick right up where you left off.  The three of us are the only ones left of our "square" - we had such a delightful time getting caught up on our families and old friends.  That was such a great time in my life.  Had I had my "druthers" I think I would have been very happy just to stay in Ft. Madison.  However, that was not to be and life has been very good.
Here is our "square" - Garnett and Harold are the couple on the left and the old hag is third from the left.  Ray is kneeling next to Harald.   We had so many fun times and so much laughter with these sweet people.  Beautiful memories!

How about a couple of pictures of my flowers?
The big pot from last year all planted.  The chartreuse trailing plant lived through the winter in the pot.  There are two other pieces toward the back.  Found the pretty cosmos and thought they would look nice in the mix.
Don't know what this is, but I found it at Kroger and brought it on home to put by my old hand pump.  I love white, frilly flowers.
Sewing this top together and am almost done, but I have to do a little ripping - she who sews rips! 

 See the two red and white blocks together?  Just too harsh!  Tried turning the strip upside down but the setting triangles do not fit that way so will remedy that later.  There are two rick rack pieces together, but at least they are going opposite directions.  I didn't see them until I had the long seam all sewn - will not be rippin' that one!

Quote of the Day - Sort of--

Courtesy of Pinterest!


1 comment:

carol fun said...

Love the quilt -- such happy fabrics! And I love your reminiscing - good memories just warm the heart! Have a great weekend. Hugs-