Sunday, July 14, 2013

Making Quilt Backs--But Doing Some Fun Things, Too

Remember this quilttop?  It has been together for quite a while and I have never put the back together even though I have had the fabric for a long time.  This past week I have made backings for three other tops and now this quilttop has one, too.   I was just a few inches shy of enough fabric without buying another width so I found enough of the background and the border fabric to solve the problem.
It was easy enough to put a 5 inch strip with the squares on the diagonal (similar to the sashing on the quilt), machine applique the squares and that was enough to make the back big enough to give the quilter plenty of excess fabric.   I have two other tops that need backs and will go to the garage sale that Park Bench will have this month and hopefully be able to find something.   Backing can be expensive.


I saw a quilt design on Pinterest that caught my eye.  Looked like it had been made on EQ.  The other day I cut pieces for a block but the background fabric is too busy. 
I want to look for some fabric that has printing on it - maybe not as jumbled as this.  Or I could use some small black dots on white.  How things have changed - anytime we used to make applique blocks or use fabric for background in piecework, it was always white, cream or ecru - occasionally a solid color or black.   I love to mix all the prints!

I think it was over a year ago that I bought this pattern when I went with some of my quilting friends to see Edyta Sitar - I love her work.  I have had it in a small plastic shoebox for a long time along with some charm squares with the idea to maybe one day make a smaller version of this sweet pattern.  That is what I started the other day. 
The blocks are not set in stone - in fact, I have switched some out and will probably replace others - but this is the idea.
 
 

 
Except for cutting out the tinier pieces and trying to get the release paper off, these are so much fun to make.    Choosing colors is my very favorite part of the quilt process!  
 
One more thing - if you follow the blog that Henry's mommy writes (my granddaughter, Norah) - there is a new post with lots of cute pictures of the little cutie.  And, if you check it out, pay special attention to the last couple of pictures for some sweet news!!    In just a few weeks,  Norah and family,  Molly and family and Hannah will be in Michigan.  Birthdays will be celebrated, Henry's, Norah's and mine.  I am so anxious to see those two little ones - and all the bigger ones, too!!!! 
 
Quote of the Day --
Maxine is such an intelligent old broad!!!
 


5 comments:

Jewels said...

Wow Carol sounds like you are getting a lot of UFO taken care of LOL - love the little umbrellas. You must be so excited to see all your family for the big Birthday! Hope you are staying cool my friend :)

Leslie said...

Wow, you have been a very busy girl. I love the red and white quilt and the backing is wonderful. I live the little umbrellas, that looks like it will be tons of fun. And... I did see the Henry post and woo hoo for Norah and family. Boys are tons of fun, but oh the possibilities of another baby girl!!! Great news.

Fiesta said...

Your red quilt is stunning. I too love Edyta and I have been eyeing that pattern. Making a smaller version sounds great!

lil red hen said...

It's frightening to finish such a lovely quilt top, only to discover the backing fabric is too short. I've been there and worked it through as you did. I liked it! and I've seen others who did the same thing.

And yes, times have changed in putting fabric choices together. Who would have thought of putting plaids and flowers or stripes in the same block! I like it!

Pokey said...

You appliqued those squares?!? You are such a smart gal, it will be a great backing, with a design call! Happy birthday to all of you, Miss Carol ~
:-}pokey