Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Old Hag has an IPhone

Oh, my goodness, talk about memories!   Sherry sent me this picture in a text last night - two of the little dresses she had when she was somehwere around 9 - 12 months old.    She wanted to know whether or not I had made them.  I did make the little red polka dot dress.  I embroidered the little duck under the flower and I even made handmade buttonholes on the back.   I think it's pretty sweet!  The little organdy dress was "storebought".    All through Sherry's life at home I made many dresses for her.  One of the first ones had what is called a "continuous lap" below the waistline.  I was almost defeated in figuring that out from the pattern instructions, but I finally did.   It's a wonder she didn't outgrow the little dress before I finally finished it!  Back in the day, little girls dresses had the full, gathered skirts and sashes that tied in a pretty bow in the back.
Here is a little still life I put together for some cards I made one year for the guild.  These are patterns I bought when I was pregnant with Sherry and actually did make a little flannel jacket from the one in front.  The stocking and bootie were worn by my husband when he was a baby.    His mom gave me a lot of his little baby clothes and I still have them.  Two of the dresses he wore are hanging in my bedroom.   I saved a lot of things from the kids childhood - could not bear to get rid of some of them.   
 
There is also his little sweater, mittens, baby dish, shoe, and a couple of little toys.  The slate I found in an antique shop and the blocks belonged to our kids.  Also a little chamber pot, part of my great potty collection.  The little dresses could probably stand to be laundered!   This shelf is really dated - my entire house is really dated!  However, I am, too, and I love my comfy little place with all it's old stuff. 
 
 
Still sewing corners on the blocks for the snowball quilt.  About halfway through now.   From post title, I now have an IPhone and am working on mastering it.  I can see where this texting will be really fun and will love being included when the girls send photos and little videos of Henry and Annie.   This whole deal just boggles my mind - what a world we live in!  
 
Quote for the Day---
 
 
 
 





4 comments:

lil red hen said...

Thanks for sharing the sweet little clothes with us. I love the red and white dress!! I've saved lots of the things my girls wore, for them, but I'm not sure they feel as sentimental about them as I do. My last child was premature and her things are almost doll sized. I have two of my school dresses and a band uniform from the first grade. Wouldn't take money for them! It's wonderful you have things from your husband's childhood!

Stephanie said...

Don't let thew iPhone get the best of you. When I got mine I asked my kids millions of questions and I still learn something new everyday it seems. Todays technology is amazing and you wonder what it will be like when your grandkids grow up. But it is super cool to get the texts and pictures/videos of the grandkids! You'll REALLY enjoy it once you figure it out!

Jewels said...

You will have so much fun with your new toy Carol and great for taking picture...love seeing those old dresses - how wonderful they are still in the family...

Leslie said...

Leif said for me to tell you not to "sew and text" at the same time. lol You will learn so fast how to use it. I will text you from Grand Rapids with Linda.