Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween!!   Wouldn't this make a darling wall hanging?   I can see some scrumptious orange batik fabric underneath an almost solid black batik for the silhouette.  Then some batiks that would be the color of the moon plus yellow to add to the darker orange shade for the pumpkins.

Yesterday I went with a very fun quilting friend of mine to the retreat about an hour from here where many of my other fun quilting friends were spending four days of non-stop sewing, talking, laughing, eating, and even shop hopping!   Lori had asked me some time ago if I would like to go with her as a daytripper to which I immediately replied "yes!"   She works so is unable to attend for the entire time and it's no longer feasible for me to go for that long   It was not a disappointment!!  A lot of the girls there I have known since I first got into the guild along with others who have joined our group after I did - they are such a lovely group of women and I hope they know how much they contribute to my life.  I am so much older than all of them but still feel so comfy when I am with them and I think they are part of making me feel not so old!  It was a good day!
 Here is just part of the work area at The Springs.  Great design walls all around, a fireplace with a crackling fire, a table full of goodies to munch on and gorgeous creations up on the wall.  They get lots of beautiful projects made in the time they are at the retreat.
You have to be goofy some of the time!!  Here are Leslie, Kathy and Deb behind the intricate paper pieced circles done by Linda (in the background).  
 A good friend, Leslie is working intently on a very pretty piece that was started and belongs to her very pretty daughter, Elle.  Leslie is also lots and lots of fun to be around - very vivacious and full of big smiles and laughs.  She is also one heck of a quilter!  One of her specialties is wonderful wool applique and also embroidery. 
From another good friend, Kathy is expecting two new grandbabies - first ones - and has been working on making baby quilts.  This is one she has worked up - adorable, right?  Also had a pastel batik piece on the design wall that was made up by square in a square blocks - very simple and sweet.  She is our amazing machine quilting person (on home machine) and will do her wonderful quilting on both pieces. 

I didn't get a picture of it, but Lori, who I came with, brought along a quilt she had pieced a long time ago which she was embellishing with ribbon embroidery!  Gorgeous!  Her work is beautiful.  We have so much talent in our guild!  Lots and lots of great quilters whose work is wonderful.

Me, I brought along a scarf I was crocheting.  Did much more talking and laughing than I did crocheting but that is just fine with this old hag!  It was fun.

A Thought for Today!!


2 comments:

marlu said...

Your day sounds like so much fun.
And I love the sign about the pumps!

kim said...

I love crafty get-togethers too! I'm glad it was worth the drive.
We have just started a Modern Quilt Guild here so maybe I will get to attend a few myself :)