Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Stored Away in the Basement

I have been going through things in the basement the last few days - quite a job!!  Have been through almost all of my fabric even weeding some out!  And have neatened up some of the containers that I have wildly ruffled through searching for the right pieces.  Actually have emptied some containers that I am now using  for yarn that has been in various bags, etc.   A side effect of this has been a nice pile of fabric, patterns, and other goodies that can go to the bazaar for next year's guild quilt show.

The cross stitch picture above is from a container of many lovely (and a couple not so lovely) pieces mainly done by my Ray after he retired.  He enjoyed doing it so much and did such a beautiful job.  I know it gave him many, many contented hours  doing this gorgeous needlework.  A lot of them are not framed - but many of them are and are in my house and the homes of our kids.  He used to mat and frame them himself - it is very costly to have them done.  One day I hope that the granddaughters and their kids will have some of these in their homes if they wish.

A closer look at the barn.  I love this one and should have it framed or try and find a frame to fit.  For some of the pieces I actually found lovely old antique frames  to use.  Love it when that happens.


Here is another lovely piece - a P. Buckley Moss.  He did a lot of those and there are quite a few of those hanging in my home and the homes of our kids.  He worked on small count canvas and did the stick and stab method - his stitches are so pretty.
Here is one that I did - can you tell?  It was made to be a quilt for our dollhouse which never got finished and is a whole other story.  There is a huge two story dollhouse in my basement and a big box of miniature furniture that Ray made.  Oh, my, it can be a gem if it is ever decorated and finished.  It is even wired for electricity.    Plus, there are boxes of HO train equipment for a very big layout down there on the shelves.  I am not planning to open any of those boxes!!

I have more cross stitches to show, but will save them for another post.  Don't want to overload you!
Now, here are some wise words:




7 comments:

Leslie said...

wow, wow, wow, those are just wonderful. He was really very good at that. Elle just ordered a Christmas Cross stitch pattern last night off the internet. The one that Nana and Co. posted about. Cleaning is good for the soul isn't it.

Jewels said...

Oh my Carol those are just lovely - he did indeed do a wonderful job...

Beth Niquette said...

Wow....these are amazing. He's an artist. They fill my eyes.

Annie said...

Wow! Ray did beautiful work. One of the nicest things about hand creating art like this is knowing that we will be leaving behind a feast for the eyes of those we love!

JanetL said...

New follower here via a picture (pinterest of course) of your SWOON quilt, which I love. P.B. Moss cross stitches are very challenging, your Ray did an amazing job. What treasures you have.

Bozena Wojtaszek said...

If this is what you keep in the basement, I wonder about your salon :)

fantastic!

Deb said...

Lovely pieces, I especially love the one with the deer. Clearing and organizing can be such a treasure hunt.