Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Working on the Little Quilt

Here is one strip of the little quilt for the new little baby who is due any second!  I have started some of the machine applique and am loving the colors.  Will be using all colors - usually darker than the piece it is sewn on.
Also like the solids along with the Aunt Gracie prints.  Still not sure of how I will do the little faces, buggy feelers, etc.  Embroidery would be cool as it would add more pretty color to the piece.  I still have lots and lots to do although the pieces are probably 75% cut and fused.
 Then yesterday, Kathi brought me my red applique quilt back.  I am so very happy with the way she quilted it.  She did a simple stipple in the background - no pattern shows on the pretty print and it just needs the texture.  Then using red thread, she did some quilting in some of the flowers and leaves and around the diamond border (the one that I applique instead of piece) and a pretty feather in the outer border.  The blocks are big - and some of the pieces are very big so they needed some quilting in them.  Kathi did a beautiful job.
Another view of the quilt.  I will have to name it and also my red dresden plate quilt.  I think these are my third and fourth red quilts - the first one was a whole cloth type I quilted in 1987.   We certainly don't make quilts like this anymore!!!   I did nothing but hand quilting for many years and was pretty darned good at it but haven't done any for probably ten years.  I am proud of my hand quilted quilts - makes me feel good when I look at them.

So since this is "Seeing Red" - I may name the applique quilt "Seeing Red Again"  and the Dresden plate "Seeing Red Yet Again".   It's for sure red is my favorite color!!

So along with the little baby quilt, I have my two pretty red quilts to bind, and a challenge quilt to make for the quilt show in April - needs to be done by the March meeting, plus one more round of the round robin.  This is the time of year to get projects like this done - good sewing season!  I know what I will be doing for the challenge quilt and even have everything gathered up for it in a plastic container.  Egads, I am so organized!!!  I am looking forward to doing it.  It actually is a 20 x 24 wallhanging with the theme being a scene from the state of Michigan.  A road runs through each one and they will be hung with the roads connected.   We all have the same fabric for the road and it will be the same size - you can put it anyplace on the piece that you wish to have it so the pieces will be staggered.  Think it should be fun. 


7 comments:

lil red hen said...

I really like these quilts! Do you use the blanket stitch by hand to do your applique work?

Leslie said...

I know you love red and I love your red quilts. You are the bomb, girl.

Norah said...

LOVE the baby quilt! I'm sure she will just adore it as well if she ever decides to make an appearance!

xxxxxxx00000000xxxxxxxxx

Jewels said...

Wonderful Carol! And your red quilt is just in time for Valentine's Day. The baby quilt is going to be SOOOO cute!

Donna~~ said...

Your quilts are always so lovely! Darling baby quilt--your colors are perfect! And your red quilt is wonderful too!

Annie said...

This post was definitely a feast for my eyes!!

Pokey said...

Pure eye candy, Carol, I think I'm gettin' a cavity, lol Really, I was enjoying your thread color choices for the baby quilt, just fabulous!! and then, saw those 2 beautiful REDS...Oh. My. They both are fantastic. Your talent is amazing.
:-}pokey