Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Robin

While eating breakfast this morning, I kept hearing a strange sound.  Kind of a little "thud" - and at quite close intervals.  Later I was in the front bedroom and saw movement outside the window - it was a robin that would fly into my window!   He kept returning to his perch in the mountain ash close to my house.  I took this picture and then cropped it - not too good but there he is.

A little while ago, the thudding started in again and came every few seconds.  Got my camera phone and made a little video which is through the curtains and not good, but it's also short and shows the robin doing whatever it was he (or she) has been doing all morning and still is.  Dumb little bird - does it want to move in with me or does it love the bird it sees in my window and is trying to start a relationship? 

video
Hard to see through the curtains, but you can definitely see it hitting the window.   I am sure I will get an Oscar for this film!!!!   The bird is still at it!!


5 comments:

P. said...

That reminded me of something my father-in-law said to me years ago as he watched birds regularly fly from the mountain ash tree into his window. He said, "They eat those berries and get drunk!" He claimed they were fermented being on the tree over winter. I suppose there may be some validity to that, although it just always made me laugh because he was convinced of it. I think they're seeing a reflection and being territorial in wanting to chase the "other" bird away. Maybe it's a horse apiece?

Anonymous said...

From eHow................

Cause

A bird that repeatedly flies into a window is generally a male during nesting season. Many birds are highly territorial and when a male bird sees its own reflection in your window, it believes it has encountered another bird competing for the same territory and attempts to drive the other "bird" away. The behavior will usually stop on its own as the spring breeding and nesting season draws to a close, but it is better for both you and the bird to stop the behavior right away.


Funoldhag said...

Funoldhag here! Thanks to the two commenters on the reason the robin is flying against my window!! The silly bird is still at it and it has been about 4 hours now! Never would have thought of it being territorial but it makes perfect sense. Cute idea about the berries! But the berries have been gone for a long time. Happy spring, everyone!

Beth Niquette said...

My sister-in-law hangs a long ribbon in front of their window, so the birds won't do that. LOL That's pretty funny. Poor birdie!

Jewels said...

I had the same thing happen Carol at my old house on Meadowbrook - he finally gave up but you do wonder if they are going to hurt themselves!