Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Quilting on the Flower Garden Quilt

 After quite a bit of hassle, I am starting to get this piece quilted.  The hassle came in the pinning process - which, like thread basting, is not one of my favorite parts of the quilt making process.  The wall hangings are done on the big door on sawhorses that my husband rigged up for me to use as a worktable and it has served me well.  I tape the backing wrong side up on the table with painter's tape then layer the batting and top on that and proceed to pin.  I was able to get most of the piece on top of the table with just maybe six inches overhanging on each side.  As with my little sunbonnet girls, I used wool batting. I had had no problem at all with that top.  After the pins were all in and closed, I took off the tape so I could finish each side.  When I looked at the back, it was all pleated and just plain awful!!  Nothing could be done but unpin all those @#^?!!! pins and start over again.  Took out the wool batting and found some cotton and started all over again.  That turned out fine!  The top and back did not cling to the wool like it does to cotton.  But cannot figure out why the little girl quilt gave me no problems.  Anyway, it was a hard fight, Mom, but I won!!
Here is a part of the center of the piece - I have had the bright idea of some buttons in the little blocks outlining the center.  These bright ones would work well, but I am also thinking I may just cover some small ones with different fabrics and use those.  I think that would add a lot.  My loopy quilting is kind of small but I it seems to be making the applique stand out nicely and it goes along pretty quickly.  Also thinking about putting some french knots in some places.

7 comments:

Jewels said...

Wow Carol - you sure persevere! Looks lovely - Mr. D and I will have to come and check it out lol...

Pokey said...

Beautiful flowers, Miz Carol! I like the quilting and all the visual texture in this one ~
:-}pokey

Leslie said...

You certainly are getting really good at quilting your quilt tops

Donna~~ said...

Looking very nice Carol. The quilting does set the flowers off nicely. The advantage of those buttons vs. the fabric ones is you could sew them on by machine. :)

carol fun said...

Oh Carol - this looking FABULOUS! Can't wait to see what you decide on the buttons - what a clever idea!

Connie said...

Good Morning Carol, I am so delighted to have found your amazing blog. I am a beginner quilter. I started last fall at age 68 and I have a long ways to go, but as everything in life we take it one step at a time, right? Your work is amazing and so very inspiring and the colors that you choose are so cheerful. I Love, Love, Love your blog!
Your newest fan and follower,
Connie :)
P.S. I would love to invite you over to visit my blog and just maybe you will like it enough to follow me back. I have met so many wonderful and creative folks through blogging.
Have a lovely day.

michelle said...

gorgeous work!!! wow!!!