Monday, September 8, 2014

A Not So Fun Evening

We have small sheds attached to our houses that open to the patio for storing all kinds of things - very handy.  Big enough to store some yard furniture, pots, tools, etc.   Last evening I had watered my hanging baskets and pots and decided I would get out a little scarecrow from last year and put him out by the mums Sherry had given me for my birthday.  Had not been in the shed for quite a long time-probably three or four weeks.   I opened the door and reached in to the left where I could see what it was I wanted and pulled it out.  OMG!!  Bugs flew out of there in droves and they were wasps.  They swarmed around me and I got out in the yard trying to bat them off - scary!!!  They were up my shirt, in my hair, all around my arms, neck, face and I was frantic trying to get away from them.  I was moving pretty good for an 86 year old woman!  I know I killed a few but they kept stinging me.   Wow - never had anything like that happen before in all the years I have worked in the yard.  After what seemed like ages, I finally was able to get in the house without many of them and you can be sure my heart was going pretty darned fast.  Decided to call my daughter and she came over right away.  I went and took some benydryl first thing.  We thought about going over to the hospital but I didn't seem to be having any immediate reaction other than stinging feeling and little red spots starting.  Did go to Walgreen for some cream and talked to the pharmacist who said if I started having trouble breathing call 911.  Thank heavens that did not happen.  I had calmed down considerably and was itching and burning where the bites were.  None on my face - some on my neck, probably ten or more total on my arms.  Then a couple under one arm and one around my waist on the side.  Had an awful time sleeping last night, but things are much, much better tonight.  The kids came over again later and Barclay sprayed some stuff on the nest - which is similar to the picture above.  Had never in my life seen anything like that.  This afternoon a neighbor came over and checked it out and most of the wasps were dead but there were still some so he sprayed more.  He kind of tore the nest up, but here is how it looks now--
You can see that there is part of it that looks just like the one above.  It was built around the legs of a little grill, a broom and a sponge that was on the floor.  It was a big,big nest.  I am so thankful I evidently don't have the bad allergy.  There is swelling, heat, itching and stinging but that is much better tonight.  And I am thankful I kind of kept my head and didn't completely fall apart as that would have been really bad.  It was bad enough!   Bet I sleep tonight!!!

12 comments:

Molly said...

That is so scary and I'm so glad you are such a tough old lady ; ) Love you!!!

Elizabeth said...

What a story! Thank goodness that you are OK and that you've broken up the nest. Sleep well tonight!

ES said...

Holy moly! You are very lucky you didn't have an allergic reaction! It must've been terrifying! Maybe you'll need to do some fabric shopping to ease your nerves :)

leslie said...

oh my gosh!!!!

leslie said...

oh my gosh!!!!

Annie said...

I'm so glad you're ok!!

Stephanie said...

So glad you are ok Carol. That could have been very serious had you been allergic. Taking teh benedryl right away probably helped! Be safe.

Chantal said...

That's awful! I am always so careful when I go into the shed. Not exactly because of wasps but for spiders. I HATE those. I go into the shed so ever slowly and look everywhere. Yuck! So happy to hear you are better and that someone took care of the nest for you. Hope you have a better night tonight.

Joanna said...

How scary! I'm pleased that you are ok now, phew!

Juliana Ellington said...

I am so glad that you are all right!!!
Good grief!!

Beth Niquette said...

Oh! My! I just read this today--are you okay?! Did you know the paper is great for drawing on? lol ((hugs)) What an awful experience.

Beth Niquette said...

I keep a bottle of meat tenderizer around, because if you get stung, all you have to do is make a past of the tenderizer with a little water, and rub it in--something in it makes the sting, itching and swelling go away. I swear by meat tenderizer! (grin) ((HUGS))